Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Competition Revision

Since I haven't competed in 5 years and I know that I really just don't have the desire to stay active in competition anymore, I originally decided that I might as well do the Pan Ams. This would be a good experience for me and a world class tournament to compete in. A few other people jumped on board wanting to go compete as well and as we thought about it, we came to the conclusion that it would be best for us to compete in the New York Internationals. They are held by the same promotion but are in New York instead of California. They are also a month later giving us a little extra time to train being that the snow put a damper on some of the last few weeks.

There isn't much info posted yet about the event but you can check out what is available at the ibjjf website. Trust me, I need the extra time to train. Last week was not very productive because I had too many business demands to take care of for tax season. I rolled a little bit on Saturday and pretty much got pushed around by Josh Troy for about 20 min before falling prey to his rear naked choke. He took some competition advice I gave him to heart and well, it worked. Later that night I took my wife and 2 kids (well..3 kids if you count the one in the belly)out to eat at Miyakos Hibachi Grill and I was a bit disappointed because I can never catch that darn shrimp! My reflexes are good. Why can't I catch the shrimp? I think I am going to add that to my training regimen and will go and test myself once again a week before competition. I will let you know how that turns out. Maybe I can take my camera with me...

On the flip side, my wife and I decided to put the family on the Gracie Diet. We have done this at times before just to learn about it. This week was the first week so we haven't done a perfect job. It takes a little getting used to. It is not so much that it is hard to do but you really have to learn to plan your meals accordingly. We always eat fairly healthy but we have been wanting to enhance our diet for a while now. We watched a movie called "The Beautiful Truth" last week and that kinda topped off our desire for an even healthier diet. Here is a quick video on the documentary.



It was interesting...

In any case we are are both excited about pursuing the Gracie Diet. One thing I have noticed with having children and losing sleep among ageing and other things is that I just don't have as much energy. My hope is to regain some energy by eating properly for energy. I will keep you updated on how the diet is going. We are off to a good start this week and I feel really good about this decision. It is a decision that you have to make with your family. Everyone has to be on board to really make it effective. At this point competition is two months out. I am ready for some good training, stretching, shrimp catching, fighting and eating to be fully renewed come May 1st!

No comments: