Thursday, October 20, 2005

Self Discipline vs. Sanctification (extended)

As a Martial Artist, self-discipline has been a big part of my life. Self-discipline and self-control are the ability to train and control one's desires, motives, emotions, actions and conduct. They are a means of self improvement. Most martial arts place a big emphasis on those things. They are a part of the arts so called "spiritual training". All martial arts should have a "spiritual" element to them. To learn and train just the physical is not enough. In fact, it is dangerous. Martial arts is serious and a warrior has to train the three elements of martial arts, which are body, mind and spirit. Each one complements the other and makes the art more complete and pure.

I have been brought to the understanding, however, that self-discipline can be just as dangerous as lack of self-discipline. As a means of focus, self-discipline can be good. If I am learning to concentrate and apply myself to certain things like a diet or a practice like that, self-discipline is good. In fact, I believe self-discipline comes naturaly with the things that you have a passion for. Anything you truly devote yourself to brings self-discipline. It comes naturaly with love, commitment and repetition. This is good. Now if I try to take self-discipline and use it as a means of changing my character then it is dangerous. In fact, it is impossible.

Maybe you have witnessed people change by self-discipline and you say they are good people who have achieved good things and of course it is possible, right? Wrong. Anyone that changes by the power of self-discipline is proud whether they wear it on their sleeve or not. It is impossible not to be proud in self-achievment. Impossible! The same people that say that it is not true are the same ones that think they are humble. That is also impossible. You can't believe you are humble and actually be humble at the same time. The ones that believe my first stament is not true are the ones thinking well I did it. So, I rest my case.

In all truth, you can not be humble but only humbled. To be humbled requires another party which gets rid of the self part of discipline. Some people will say that I am a good person and that I show good self-discipline and control and my human nature will proudly agree to that at some extent. Who doesn't want to hear and believe those things about themself? Let me tell you now that I have indeed been humbled by the truth. I am not good at all! I am weak and I am a disgrace. When I compare myself to the world that is not always true but when compared to God, it is
soft way of putting it. My mind is so far from God it is shamefull. And only by the power of God will anyone admitt that. I can never be humble but will always be humbled by the Truth.

This is the beauty of the Lord. He came to rescue us from that. He came to save and redeem us. To give us true life, freedom and strength. Everyday, I still try to discipline myself to be better but God says "Don't even try to be self-righteous. That is impossible. I have come to take that burden away. Rely on Me and I will save you. I will make you Holy by the power of My Son and Holy Spirit, Who was sent as a guarantee of your santification and eternal life". (The quote is just a summery of different scriptures, not an official quote from God)

Paul says in Romans 12, " Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God".

In John 17:14-17 Jesus prays:

"I have given them your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of this world, just as I am not of this world. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as i am not of the world. Sanctify them by your Truth. Your Word is Truth".

1 Thessalonians 4:3 says:

"For this is the will of God, your sanctification".

God's plan is to sanctify us by the power of Truth, His Word. Those who try to sanctify themselves or become self righteous through self-discipline are moving further and further from it. God is the only One Who has the power to transform and sanctify you. It is impossible for us to even come close to His standard or Holyness on our own. God promises to do it for us by the power that is in Jesus Christ, Who is the living Word of God.

Therefore do not try to discipline yourself to be holy, righteous or good. Be humbled by the Truth. Let the Word of God tramsform you and renew your mind. Trust Him and know that the prayer of Christ to the Father was for his people to be santified by the Truth which is the Word. If God is going to answer anybodies prayer we know it would be His Own!

PART 2

I want to clarify a few things about this blog. I left a few things undone that are really important. Self-discipline is only effective when you have one desire stronger than the other. For instance, If someone wants to stop smoking, their desire to stop smoking has to be stronger than their desire to smoke when faced with the opportunity. This is very difficult. Usaully when someone is able to quit smoking it is because they have truly come to understand the risks of smoking. Therefore, their desire to quit becomes stronger than their desire to smoke. Alot of people can't quit because ultimatly, they desire to smoke more than they do to quit. You can use the same example for dieting. Alot of people want to lose wieght but when the time comes to decide whether or not to eat that donut, their immediate desire for the donut wins. Self-discipline, will never, ever, win over desire. Self-discipline is a natuaral consequense of love and pure desire. Because, I love to train in martial arts, I am going to strive to keep a healthy body, mind and spirit. But this is not a struggle because m desire to do martial arts is stronger than my desire to do all the other things or activities that don't complement it.

This is how it is with sanctification. Self-discipline will never ever lead to sanctification. Sanctification is the beginning of true self-discipline. I don't really even like to use the word self-discipline. I see it more as repentance. Like Romans 12 says:

"Be transformed by the renewal of your mind"

That is the beginning of true repentance. Self-discipline is about self-transformation. The only problem with this is that you can't transform your desires. It always takes a third party. Some major event whether it be good or bad needs to take place for your desire to suddenly switch directions. This is what God does for us. One day, He just awakens us. Once we have truly seen the light, it is impossible to desire anything else, for there is nothing greater. God's will for our sanctification is soveirgn. My desire to love and serve the Lord is greater than all things. That is my sanctification. No Christian will ever be fully sanctified before death but we will all persevere in faith until the end.

It is the desire to Love and serve the Lord that God plants in us that begins our sanctification. Self-discipline or repentance is a natural consequence of sanctification. On our own, we will never do or be good enough to live and dwell in the presence of the Lord. It takes a gracious and merciful act from the Lord Himself. Thanks, Be to God for His Son Jesus!

3 comments:

JettaRed said...

God puts us where He wants us in order that we may serve His Good Will. Luke, you have preached the Gospel by your actions. You have demonstrated righteous behavior before your students and have become a role model for those you teach.

God has a plan for each and every believer who chooses Him. We are no longer our own, but belong to Him, and He will use us because He is God. You are doing His Will in what you do.

May God make His Face shine upon you and Katie.

God Bless,
Bill

Jeff Mount said...

Luke- great thoughts and ones that I have had to learn through trial and error. Anyone who, in a worldly sense is successful at what they do, is prone to the temptation of thinking that, through our own efforts, we can achieve sanctification, since our efforts are what led to success in every other area of our life.

By the way, when you get a chance, check out the facility I'm managing lately...www.kravmd.com my e-mail is jmount@kravmd.com

Take care, man.

Unknown said...

Luke,

You're right about self-discipline easily becoming self-centered and pride. I think outward change in our actions and words only comes as our minds and hearts are transformed. Attempting to change our behavior without first understanding why the alternative is displeasing to God and sinful is really futile.

Thanks for the post!