Monday, April 19, 2010

Purposed for Another Day

I have been in a bit of a struggle lately because I started this whole blog on training and preparing for my competition comeback and yet my ability to train properly has been ruined by this "tale bone" injury. On the one hand I like to finish what I started. I like to persevere to the end. On the other hand, I like to give my all to the things I do. If I were single and without my family, my old self would surely have continued to train and compete. Now that I have a family and provide for them through this sport and art, I see the wisdom in being safe and patient.

I told everyone that I was competing and I had planned whole heatedly to train and do so. It started off well but after the tale bone injury I stopped grappling because it was making it worse. I didn't grapple for about 3 weeks but did continue to eat well and exercise. I couldn't exercise the way I really wanted to but I did exercise. I started rolling again about 2 weeks ago but still have to be very cautious how I do it. It doesn't really hurt when I roll, I am aware of it and feel it but when you roll you just don't care about those things. It is how it feels after I roll that matters. It starts to hurt again when I sit and do other things. It keeps it from healing the way I would like it to. The bottom line is that I haven't been able to train and i still can't train the way I want to for a competition comeback.

I could certainly go and compete and probably be fine. I would probably hurt my self a bit more but it would eventually heal and be better. I know I could push through it in the tournament. The bottom line is that I haven't been able to train properly for over 5 weeks now. If I went to compete I would only be about 60% of what I can be. I think technically, I would be fine but physically not where I want to be. The reason this is important to me is that I have already competed for fun and for the experience. I have won big tournaments and had my time. I want to compete again not for me but for you. If I am competing for you than I owe it to you to train properly and compete as close to 100% as possible. That is why I have to let this opportunity pass for now. I wanted to do it now because we will be having our 3rd baby soon (another boy!) and things will be busy again for a while. I am certainly not calling it quits though. I will compete again. There is a season for everything and when the time is right, I will be ready. The last time I competed was a super fight against Pablo Popavich, who is currently the #1 grappler in the world. The next time I compete I want to be right in that mix again. As for now you are just going to have to be happy with the ol' highlights video!!!

1 comment:

Now one of the best said...

Luke I hope you get better soon and I know first hand that this will not stop you and congrats on your new baby oh yeah thank you for everything you done for me Luke you will always be more than a trainer to me in my heart you will always be my role model Luke and yeah tell Joey Hughes for me please that I would love to meet him on the mat or cage one day and also tell him thank you to for everything but really I would love the oppurtunity to meet him in the ring one day and to let you know who this is its Me Josh Epps and you can reach me at 304-480-9035 thank you and good Luck amd GOD Bless you